April 06, 2009

Hushpuppies!!!

If I'm going to meet the goals of my own personal cooking challenge, then I'm going to have to step up my game and get a-cookin'. To that end, I spent some quality time perusing my cookbooks for recipes that would make use of a few of the ingredients I have in the fridge already.

And then I stumbled acrossed it.

A recipe for Hushpuppies.

Hushpuppy memories flooded my brain.

I could practically taste the huspuppies.

I could hear the gerbils running on their wheels as they thought up a meal centered around hushpuppy yumminess.

To heck with making due with what's in the fridge! I could go grocery shopping.

And then I finished reading the recipe, which included this direction:
"...heat the oil over high heat ... fry in batches ... maintain the temperature of the oil between 350 and 375 degrees." (Source: "The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook")
My delight in finding this recipe evaporated in less time than it took me to look at my wrist and to remember the Natchitoches Incident.

So yeah. I won't be making those hushpuppies anytime too soon. I'll leave the frying of them until I get a new electric skillet for my birthday (hint, hint Mom!).

No comments: